Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Color Mixing and Making Potions

Today we explored color mixing by using colored water and eye droppers.  As the students began exploring the materials  they quickly noticed how they can make new colors.

 






"I can make green." 
"This makes brown."

They began to make potions.  When asked what a potion is they said: "When you drink poison water you go to sleep."  Another students said,  "No, It can be anything, making people go to sleep, make people move out of the way. Anything you want it to do."  

I love how the children connect their "world" to time in the classroom. I'm sure these kids have seen potions on TV shows, in movies and books they have read.  

 


 






One student came over to observe what her classmates were doing.  "It looks like science.  I don't know a lot about science.  Look! Her's is turning orange!" This student was really intrigued by what her classmates were doing.  As she was watching her friends she heard a friend say "Did you know blue and pink make brown?"  And she said "No, blue and red make purple. Try it!"

 

 



 

We also tried to beat the heat and took a quick walk to the sculpture park!

No comments:

Post a Comment