Friday, September 2, 2022

Forest Stories

 What stories will we find in the forest today?  

That was our BIG question as we headed out.  As we walked to the forest we talked about what stories we might discover.  The ideas our friends had filled me with joy.  The excitement of searching for a story was evident.  These Birch friends were ready!  I heard...

"My story is about a friendly bear." J     "The bear will come and eat all of our food at night time!" D

"My story is about a ninja.  I am the ninja!!!" CF     "There's a monkey in there." A

"My story is about a unicorn in the forest and I want him to fly home with me." C

"My story is about an ALLIGATOR!!!" H     "My story is about camping." D

As soon as we stepped into the forest, the stories began.

"We are pretending we are ninja girls." R and M


As I continued walking around listening to the children I saw these two friends and just knew I was going to see something beautiful happen.  I saw you, A take your friend C by the hand and say...

"I've got a really big surprise for you! 

Ta-Da!!!  It's these trees!  They have been here for all the time." A 
You were so excited about these specific trees.  You had journeyed FAR back into the forest to find them.  You sat down on this log and began to tell me about a horse.  I noticed that the way you were sitting on the log reminded me of the way a person sits on a horse!  You were very excited and you got right up and began running intentionally to a new place.  So...of course we followed!

" It's right over here.  This is my special horsey.  You sit here and you sit here.  Okay, we're here.  This is the Zoo!!  Do you want to see some animals with me?"

We were on a journey through the Zoo!  And this zoo didn't have a train...it had horses!


With each "horse" we rode, we were led to a new location and a new animal to see.  You asked each time, "do you want to see...."  and I always replied with...

"Absolutely!"

"Okay, let's go.  Do you want to see the hippopotamuses?  The are SO cool!" A




"Hey, they are going that way.  Let's goooooooo!" A
A, your joy was contagious.  More friends joined in our adventure through the forest-zoo.  We were all smiling and laughing and having a perfect time.  I imagine the zoo to be a very special place for you.  And then...we came across a friend in the middle of the forest.


"I'm making a campfire." JI  Ohh.  I love your campfire.  What are you going to do at your campfire? I wondered to you.  "Well...there is a camp penguin but we didn't invite it yet." JI


A, you were listening to our discussion about the campfire and I wondered if you had seen any penguins in your zoo.  You got a huge smile and said, "YES!  I know just where they are!"  You brought us back a baby penguin, and CW, you brought us a big penguin!  I love the way yours stories found one another in the forest!

As I was sitting there petting the penguins, I began to feel something...something big...something loud...something S-C-A-R-Y.  It was a DINOSAUR, and he was right behind me!!!!!!! 


 AAAAHHHHH!  I jumped up and ran away from the campfire and the dinosaur.  Phew!  Luckily I found my way into another MUCH less scary story!


As these friends were watching the worm I heard...

"I did not find a friendly bear.  I just found sticks." J  "Well, I found a monkey!  He's us there in the trees." E


I think your monkey story sparked something in your friend C.  She took me all the way across the forest to a favorite climbing place.  And, much like a monkey...she climbed!

"Look how high I can climb.  I am imagining that this is a normal house with magic and unicorns.  And this is my house!" C

"I didn't find any of my stories yet." 

 Hmmm...well maybe the forest has a different story for you today.  What story is the forest telling you?  "Forests can't talk!"  Really?  Hmmm...I hear lots of stories that the forest is telling me.  I just have to listen closely.  And so I stood...and I listened.

I heard...

discoveries.....laughter.....nature....


I heard...
"This is where the alligators live." H  



and then your friend D joined you and I heard...

the most beautiful conversation between friends.  You talked back and forth in perfect peace.  You told one another about your families, about your homes, about all the things that are important to each of you.  It was the sweetest little conversation and I was so glad I listened closely enough to get to hear it!

While some stories happened in the quiet spaces and places, others happen loud and proud!

"I am a monkey.  We are ALL monkeys!" J




"I caught a sardine!" E    "Hey, I caught a fishy." J




"I see it!  I see a monkey!" A  "I want to look for the monkey."

"I'll help you look for the monkey.  Come on!  I see it!  I see it!!!" A

"Ooooh, ooooh, ahhhh, ahhhh." J




Our forest is a magical place filled with wonder and imagination.  Sometimes we just need to be still and listen, and when we do, the stories that surround us will fill us with the joy and wonder of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment