Do you know the way to the gym?
What would our friends say?
With all of our talk about community yesterday your teachers thought about how we navigate to and through these places. How do we get to different places? How can we tell someone who doesn't know? We thought about the spaces that hold high value to us as Ambrose friends. Of course the Forest was at the top of the list. But then we decided we might want to start a bit "closer to home" Where is a place we all go each day that is important? What do we do there? And so this question was born.
I had such a smile as each friend eagerly said "YES!"
Of course, we couldn't leave it at a simple "yes" or "no". And so we prompted a bit more.
Tell me how to get there!
I saw fingers pointing this way and that
I heard words like "go straight" and "turn".
I heard positional clues like "It's in the corner."
I heard meaningful words like "we play there."
I heard identifying words like "It's through the cafeteria."
I heard process words like "we line up and go out the door."
And then I heard...
"You drive there in the car."
Hmmmm....tell me more.
And you told me about going to the "gym" in Daddy's car. AHH! You are talking about a different gym!
Which was the perfect bridge to our invitation today. What map can you create?
"This is my home. This is the Webster Groves pool." CW
You added train tracks to the bottom of the page.
Your community has train tracks, your home with flowers and a swimming pool!
"I want to draw my Arch. I live at the Arch." HW
You drew a giant path that leads from your town where the Arch is all the way to Nanna's beach house!
JI, you were drawing how you get to the "pool with the big slide."
MT you drew a square with your name for your house. Then you drew a line and another house.
"This is Ginger's house. Ginger lives on Maple Street. I went there for the block party."
CG,you worked for a long time on your map. You ended up with a page of all different sorts of lines and marks. There were long loopy lines, straight lines, and what you told me were "scribble lines."
I asked you about what all those lines mean and you told me they were colors. Wow! I wondered if your colors meant something specific. It reminded me of some maps I have seen before that have colors on them. I can't wait to explore the meaning of colors on maps with you.
"I'm finding my house and the swimming pool." JI
"Do you know where I live? Where's my house at? Is this the school?" JA
No comments:
Post a Comment