What an amazing day today! Our Birch friends were pushed to think hard...to work in new ways...to tell us what they were thinking...to SHOW us what they were thinking.
It was hard to be flexible today. And guess what? Our friends did it! Sometimes they needed prompting. Sometimes they needed a reminder of our big question. Sometimes all it took was a friend close by showing us what he or she knew!
So...what do we know? Well, we know a LOT!
How much? How many?
What do you know about these materials?
Without a doubt all of our friends were very excited to investigate this table.
When I came over, you had lined up SO many materials in a giant circle all around you.
What are all of these things anyway?
"They are pennies." AD
Pennies, that is a name for this material. Are they ALL pennies or are there other names?
"The big ones are the money." AD
"And quarters and dimes." RM
You are telling me some other names for these materials. I hear "penny" and "quarter" and "dime." What do you use these materials for?
"You use quarters and dimes." RM
Quarters and dimes, are those different? Which ones are quarters, dimes, and pennies?
"These little silver ones are dimes." RM
RM you began to look closely at each coin and notice the differences on them.
"This picture is the same, and this picture is different. This is a person and this is a person but they have a different hair style." RM
JI, you noticed the dice on the table and made a connection with number invitations we have had before. You rolled the dice and counted the dots. As you counted you began to sort out that same number of coins.
Count, move, count, move, count,move..all the way up to five coins.
JB, you noticed JI rolling and counting and it inspired you as well. You rolled and counted but instead of making a new pile each time, you added to you pile making it bigger and bigger and bigger.
"I have 25 coins." JB
What do we do with coin?
"Put them in a piggy bank." JB
"I have 17 coins." HW
You are counting your coins. What do you do with coins?
"Pay, you pay groceries with them." HW
"These are quarters and these are coins. My mommy has these in her wallet. She pays stuff with them...for TREATS!" GC
"These are the pennies and these are the quarters." GC
"Thee are all silver and these are all orange." MT
"I have a cash register and you 'slot' it and it tells you the name."
"They are a different color."
I there anything else different about them? Hmmm...I wonder what is different about these two?
"They are a different SIZE!"
"I'm going to count them and see which number. Seventeen. Which one of these is the 17? Is it this one?" MT
MT, you heard your friend JB mention piggy banks. You were talking to me, to your friend LB, and even to yourself as you worked. As you worked I heard you say,
"Why do we have piggy banks?" MT
That is a great question. Why do we have piggy banks?
"I have a piggy bank."
"I have one, but its a dinosaur."
You both have piggy banks. What do we use the for? Why do we put our coins in a piggy bank?
"So you can save it. So you don't loss it." LB
"It protects it." MT
LB, what do you know about these materials?
"They are pennies."
There are pennies here. What else do you know?
"This one won't get you a gumball."
LB, you made me smile. You are right! You have to use different money depending on what you want to buy.
"You need a little bit bigger pennies to buy a gumball." LB
"It's money!" AS
You are right, it sure is!
We had a lot of amazing conversations around the coins. We counted them, we sorted them, we stacked them, we labeled them. We looked closely and noticed how they are different and the same. We talked about what we do with them, and even how we use them.
We know a LOT about coins. We will be excited to continue our exploration and learn even more!
The light table and plus-plus blocks have been a favorite space for MANY friends. Today we pushed our learning and made our smart brains work hard with a question to focus our learning.
How can you build a map?
"I made a big street!" AD
You sure did. I wonder where your map takes me?
"It takes you all the way to my house!" AD
HW, you pointed to a specific spot on the map
"This is my house, and this is the Zoo." HW
Wow! you are telling me about two different places. How can you build a map that tells me how to get from your house to the zoo?
"This one is Daddy's apartment. You go this way, and around and around, and turn and then this way and then you're there!" EM
CF, you created a map using different colors. You told me they had special meaning that showed people how to drive.
ES, you built a map that led me from Nina's house to yours!
LB you are using only blue blocks. I wonder if that is important to your map?
"It look like the whole earth!" AD
No comments:
Post a Comment