Monday, February 13, 2023

Akaimi the Artist

 As we move through February, our study of black artists, and looking deeper into portraits we introduced the artist Akaimi the Artist. 

Akaimi is an artist out of Texas, she began her creative journey as a tool to cope with her ongoing battle with cancer. Davis’ influences "come from a wide array of both classical and folk artists, as she is called to depict images that portray Black, African, Latino and Indigenous cultures. Through her paintings, she conveys love and respect for her cultures and ancestry."

Check out her website to learn more!

https://akaimidavis.com 

We began our study last week, posting an example of Akaimi the Artist's work and practicing tracing the characteristics we see. 








We watched as each student made noticing's about the words, the face, the colors, the shapes. We traced circles, loops, lips, and eyes.

Our next step noticing that each portrait had a "juicy" word hovering above each subject's face. 

What do these words mean? 

Why were they there?

What did they say?

AS- "That's her name!"



Can anyone read that word?

CF– confidential

CG -  C, O, N

CF – (stretches out) Tal, Tal, Tal  - -  COOOONFINDENT

What does that word even mean?

It means you are being strong.

You are being comfort.

Its being sharing.

How would you feel if you were confident? 

CF - I would feel determined.


Today we wondered if each piece of art used a juicy word and why would artist put words on the portrait?

RM - It's how she is feeling.



We did a little digging. Looking a many examples of her, we noticed some things were the same and some were different. The words were not the same. 

Youthful
Phenomenal
Gracious
Joyous

What word would we use if someone created a portrait of us? 



Using Akaimi's work as our inspiration, we practiced drawing our own faces and collecting a juicy word to describe who we are and what we feel. 



I am curious. 




I am fantastic. 


I am amazing. 


 This is me, I am her. I like this one. 

 What word would you to describe who you are and how you feel? 
What about your child? Does it match the word they choose for themselves?













No comments:

Post a Comment