Friday, February 3, 2023

What do you see when you look in the mirror?

 What do you see when you look in the mirror?

I see ears.

Two eyes. 

I can see my arms, but no feet. 

I can't see my pretty dress, but I have hair. 

I SEE ME!

I see you too. I see hair on your head. I see two ears on the side. I see two eyes with eyebrows on top. I see a nose that smells. I see a big smile full of teeth. 

As we move into February and Black History Month, we are beginning a study in portraits in the style of various African American artists. We began this week by really looking deeply at what we see in the mirror. Naming each part, finding where it goes on the paper. 

Step by step we drew what we see. 

What shape is your head?

Do you have arms growing out of your head?

What is this thing that is holding your head up?



I see my hair and beads. I rerased these cause my beads fell out. 

See these ones, they fell out. 


Whoa, my hair is so crazy. I am going to draw my hair everywhere until I cut it. 
See it's just all over my head. 

When I look at you, I do not see your mouth in a straight line. Is your mouth a line?
Yes. 
It is? Show me. 


I see your glasses!
I see them too, I can't see my glasses without my glasses. 


I have hair on my head. I have a lot of it. But you can't see my legs, they are under the table.





MY EYES!
I see, you have two eyes. 
MY HAIR!
You have hair on your head. 



I have to go slow so I can draw all the things. 
I have so many things on my face. 


Keep an eye out each week as we study the portrait style of different African American artists. We will be posting a zoomed in story about the artist, their style, and the students creating their own interpretations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment