Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Words in our heart

We have talked about how our heart feels since the beginning of the school year.  Our Birch friends are well versed in identifying their feelings.  We know when we are happy, sad, or mad.  We have even talked about feelings that are more challenging to label like frustrated, curious, and proud.

Lately we have been talking about "juicy" words, those words that sound interesting to our ears, those words that make us wonder what exactly they mean.

So, what would happen if we combined those two elements into one invitation to self-reflect?  



What does this say Ms Lisa?
And so I read it to you.
We talked about how you were feeling and you told me, 
"Happy!" JI
You wondered how you would know how to write that word down.
I notice there is a book on our table.  I wonder if that book might be able to help you.
"This page is happy!" JI
Together we found the word you wanted and you collected the word that was living in your heart.
HAPPY


"I feel happy to be at school." AD
You not only told me how you were feeling, but you told me why you felt that way.
It fills my heart with joy to hear you say school is a place of happiness for you.
You make ME happy too!


"Love lives in my heart." MS
You come into the room with the BIGGEST hug for your teacher every day.  I can tell your heart is SO full of love that it bursts out right to us!



CG you drew me a picture of your family and told me a story about it.  I can tell you were thinking about how your feel when you are with them.
You wrote the word
LOVE


We continue to follow our work throughout the spaces of our classroom.
"Ms L will you read this book to me?" ESE
Absolutely!
And I started to read.  But then...wait!  I wonder if this book has any "juicy" words that we might want to collect?


CG you joined us and listened as we read.
"Stop!  I want to write that word down!" CG
And so you added to our word collection!



Other friends were asked "How Tall" with an invitation to build.

"Mine is this tall!" PS


GC you began by lining your blocks up all across the bottom of your surface in a long line.
Hmmm, you line is LONG.  How can you make it TALL?
And then you lined your blocks UP!
You made me laugh and I could absolutely see the way your brain was working.
And yet, I pushed you a bit further.
You made a long line, and you made a tall line.  How can you make a structure that stands up tall?
You thought and thought and thought and thought and then...
Ah ha!


Climbing to new heights our structures grew and grew!
Just like us!










No comments:

Post a Comment