We have been talking a bit in our room about the words we use to describe things.
Words that describe how we feel like
good
happy
sad
mad.
Words that describe the things around us like
tall
small
big
little.
But, what if the words we used were more interesting...what if they are JUICY words?
What if we feel
FANTASTIC
AMAZING
HORRENDOUS
STARVING
What if something is
GIGANTIC
ENORMOUS
MASSIVE
TOWERING
Those are juicy words!
And so, your teachers remembered this favorite book and set out on a quest to discover what "juicy words" might live in our brains?
As we read the words the character in the book collected our ears were listening intently.
What did those words mean?
How did those words look?
Where did they come from?
Jerome collected words that he saw.
Jerome collected words that he read.
Jerrome collected words that he knew
Jerome collected words that were important to him.
Jerome collected words that were interesting to him.
What juicy words do we know?
We invited our friends to create their own juicy words on slips of yellow paper just like Jerome
JI you sat down and immediately began writing...and writing...and writing!
You told me what each and every one of your words said. Your words were SO juicy!
"Tapey-Wapey. It means untape something."
"Wipey-Wipey. It means you wipe the table."
"Jewelry!" oooh I know what that one means! And much like you I am an accessory loving girl!
You are collecting words that sound interesting to you just like Jerome!
PS you sat down and wrote all sorts of letters on your paper.
I could tell by the excitement in your voice that your words were FILLED with energy!
PS you collected words that MOVE! Just like Jerome!
"Macaroon." CG
Ohhh, that IS a juicy word. What do you know about a macaroon?
"It's a cookie." MT
Is it just a regular cookie though?
Nope! It's an AMAZING cookie! What a great juicy word!
You collected a word that you know that gave you a picture in your brain and a taste in your mouth!
"It says 'Baby Shark'." JB
Hmmm, tell me more. How is that a juicy word.
"Because of the teeth. They are pointy." JB
Ahh, now I see what you are thinking about. You know that our juicy words are words that are interesting, intense, extra...just like shark teeth!
JB you collected a word that adds to the meaning of another word!
"This is all of my name." JL
You wrote your full name, first, middle, and last.
Adding your middle name onto your paper was a way to make it bigger...better...juicier!
JL you collected a word that is important to you!
These friends were focused intently on our book. I saw writing and writing and writing.
I noticed that they were looking at the words written all over the slips of paper on the cover and copying them.
You are collecting words you read just like Jerome!
This group of friends was reading a book with Ms N and I heard,
"I want to write that one down." CG
Just like Jerome you collected a juicy word that you read!
We were so excited about collecting juicy words that we wondered what words we might collect from our community. We headed out for a VERY short walk to see what we might discover!
This sign was filled with words. As I read them all out loud to our friends I heard,
"No School! Those are juicy words!" CG
CG, you are right, those are FABULOUS words!! hahaha!
As we walked back through our gate AS you noticed the letter A in this sign. Your name is the most important word to you, and this word is one that is important to us all.
Ambrose
What words are around you today?
No comments:
Post a Comment