As we headed out on our walk to discover juicy words a friend excitedly exclaimed,
"Let's dodge the lines!" RM
"Dodge?! That's a juicy word!" CG
You stopped right there and sounded out the word to collect.
You are SO excited to be a word detective.
"Woah! This one has a LOT of words!" AD
There are SO many words! How about if I read them and we can listen to hear if any of them are juicy words?
"Grace and elegance" Those are GREAT juicy words!
As we continued on our walk we looked for words that seemed interesting to us. Many of our friends saw letters that they recognized and asked what those words were. And then we noticed something different. There was a word...with a symbol! What did that mean?
"It's COLD!" ESE
"Snow!" AS
You are all seeing that snowflake and you're right. It does tell us something about what that word is! That word says "Sub Zero". I wonder what that means?
"It means so so cold!" CG
We often rely on environmental print, pictures and symbols around us, to give us cues as to the meanings of words. You were word detectives today!
Right next to "sub zero" was another word.
"There is fire. It's hot."CW
Oh my goodness. This made me smile SO much! Do you know what that word says? I asked you?
"Hot?" CW
Nope. But this is a word that is very important to your family! What is your name?
You looked at me with a smile (and also like I was a little bit crazy) because you knew this didn't say your first name. And so I prompted you a bit farther. "What is the REST of your name?"
And then your smile was one of excitement and understanding! This sign DOES say your name!!!!
JI you were attracted to this heart and the words written on it. I watched as you went back and forth, one letter at a time writing down the word that jumped out to you.
"Matter"
That is a very important word indeed. I'm so glad you discovered it!
"Woah! That's so many words!" ESE
Oh, I see a word here that is a great juicy word. And, as before your teachers read the words to you.
"Mighty"
You have all become mighty word detectives!
The cold and rain brought our walk to an end...but not our fun!
"This is our hideout!" EM JA
You two friends played in your hideout the entire time we were in the collaboratory! Your giggles and smiles, and sneaky glances at me to make sure I was looking had me laughing right along with you!
GC I watched as you picked up block after block after block. We typically don't use the building blocks with other materials but I could see that you had a plan in place. I wondered aloud what you were working on.
"I'm organizing these. It's trick or treat time." GC
You love trick or treat time, and you talk about it often to me since I saw you on your porch on Halloween! I love that we can share this experience and it influences the fun of your play.
No comments:
Post a Comment