Thursday, March 2, 2023

Think about it..

 

Think about it Thursday...poetry inspiration
We have been reading some of the poems in this classic book by Shel Silverstein
When we read this poem a few days ago our friends thought it was so funny.  
Today we invited the to think beyond the humor and imagine what they would do if they were only one inch tall!



" I would ride on a worm." JL


It was clear that the illustration of this poem inspired many of our children.
"I would drive a worm car." JA


"I would come to school." RM
How would you get to our tables if you were only one inch tall?
"I would build a catapult!" RM


CG you drew a teeny tiny one inch house with an itty bitty swimming pool.

"I will go to the beach." JI
Can you swim in the ocean if you are only one inch tall?
"My floatie wouldn't fit me.  That's why I have scissors.  I would cut a tiny piece this big." JI

We invited our Sycamore friends to join us in exploring this math invitation.
It was so fun to watch how different children interacted with the materials.
Some friends simply lined up the sticks in a pattern, oblivious to the dice.
Some friends keyed in to the colored dice and began a rolling and picking game.
Some friends noticed the numbered dice and rolled and selected a specific number of stick.
Some picked up BOTH and selected by two variables.



l

These friends spent their entire morning in the block area.  At first there was talk of creating a sail boat.



But soon enough the play changed to ramps.
I watched as these friends discovered by trial and error exactly what they needed to do to make the cylinder blocks roll all the way down the ramp.


Working together can be a challenge.
We continue to be flexible and appreciate the ideas of others who may be different from ours.
We strive to "add to" the structures of others rather than "take away".
Placing value on each child's ideas and point of view expands our thoughts, patience, kindness, and friendship...and of course, it expands our ramp too!





No comments:

Post a Comment