Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Walking Wed.

 

An invitation to show what you know about numbers greeted our friends today.
Dice, numeral tiles, loose parts and our amazingly smart brains were all the materials we needed to let you teachers know what you were thinking!
Most of our friends began by rolling the dice and counting the dots.

"I got 5" JL
"Ahh, I got 3 this time!" JL
"Five again!" JL

JL you were turning your rolling and counting into a fun game for yourself.  I could tell that you were aware of the quantity of the number and were trying to roll the highest number you could.


HW you were dropping the dice and finding the numeral tile that was the number you rolled.
I wondered how you might show me those numbers with our loose parts.
"I, 2, 3....." HW
You showed me lots of ways to create numbers!


CG you sat down and immediately declared, 
"Three and three makes six!" CG
What?!  How do you know that?  Show me!
"I counted on my fingers!" CG
You wrote, counted, and wrote again.
"Roll the dice again and see what I get next." CG you asked me.
I rolled again and I got a 1 and a 5
"WHAT?  Six again???" CG
This sparked a great time of work and learning where we talked all about how these things can BOTH make six.  I wondered how you knew that 5 and 1 made six when I hadn't seen you counting.
"Because when you're 5 years old then the next time you are six!" CG
Wow!  You are thinking about something you know and connecting it to our math invitation!
Kiss that smart brain!  You know a lot about numbers!



             AD you were rolling the dice, counting the loose parts, looking for the numeral tile, and then writing the number down on the dry erase board!  You created a game for us to play together by asking me to roll the dice so you could see what numbers to find next.  I loved watching your brain light up as you noticed how these materials all went together to create a world of math!



Often during the day we have an awkward amount of time to fill.  Not enough time for a full invitation but too much time for nothing.
One of Ms L's favorite games is "I'm thinking of......"
And our friends get to guess what it is!
Sometimes I'm thinking of an animal.  Sometimes I'm thinking of a food.  One time I was even thinking of something a person might wear.
Our friends know now that they need to ask "clue questions" to figure out what is in my brain.
The Birch friends LOVE this variation of twenty questions so much that we have noticed them begin to play in amongst themselves!

As we took our Walking Wednesday adventure I couldn't help but smile as I watched and listened to these friends.


We were thankful for the sunshine and the chance to enjoy our beautiful community today.











No comments:

Post a Comment