Monday, October 25, 2021

A Whole New (small) World

Children have been discussing how they want our small world table to change from a mini forest to something else. On Friday we brainstormed different ideas that we could change it to. After much discussion, the children settled on creating a mini Ambrose. 

Our first order of business was to talk about the different areas we wanted to include. 

B - "I want to make the building"

C - "Yeah with all the classrooms!"

E - "I'll put us, then Sycamore, then the doors to the Hillside" 



M - "We need to remember when we build the snail to put all the little tiles all over it"
E - "Good idea"
C - "I'm drawing the little rocks on the bottom of the slide"


After much time, the small group illustrated a map of Ambrose that we will build on our small world table. Children discussed next steps for the table and how we will build some of these structures. 

How could we make some of these areas? 

"Well lets start with the school"
"We could make it out of clay?"
"Yeah I like that idea. We can color it the way we want to"
"What about a cardboard box?"
"Like a shoe box?"
"I don't think that will be big enough, all of my shoe boxes are square"
"Well a grown-up shoe box is more of a rectangle. Would that work?"
"Yeah maybe. I would need to see it."
"Sounds like y'all would like some clay and possibly a shoe box to see if that will work"
"Yes that is what we will need"
"I want to do just one area at a time, because this is a big project."
"Yeah, I agree! We can't do it all in one day"

Children were using creative thinking skills, cooperation, and literacy skills to construct the map. They also used spatial reasoning to depict the map in an accurate way.


No comments:

Post a Comment