Yesterday, children were so excited about hunting for treasure and made maps. Today we prompted their thinking about maps by reading a book, My Map Book.
Children studied the page and we discussed what we noticed about the map of the bedroom.
"Labels"
"Labels"
"I see a bed"
"I see slippers and a toy"
"Why are there two beds?"
This line of questioning aided in their understanding of what to include on a map. We took this and had children look outside on the lower playscape. They were noticing all the different parts that they wanted to put on their maps of the area.
M - "My whole family keeps dying in the lava. It's on the sand pit part."
J - "I made a map of the whole center"
L - "This is the sand and this is the cave."
S - "Different colors all over my map"
C - "I made a map to my house"
E - "You start here and move down then you choose where to go next?"
M - "I'm finding my daddy. That is why I put a ?"
Children continue to seek ways to define and build community. Being able to understand what makes places special is important. This allows for them to define their world and think critically about things that surround them.
No comments:
Post a Comment