Today is International Dot Day inspired from The Dot by Peter Reynolds. We celebrated by reading the book and had a few other invitations with different circular loose parts. Many of them talked about how they were just making art, just like the book.
Children also explored dots through the language of paint! Each child was able to come and make dots. Some dots were grouped together to make something else and some additions to the mural were inspired by the book.
M - I did it just like in the book. I made a circle around the paint!
M - These are my baby
E - I'm going to make big ones
Play gives children the opportunity to practice preliteracy skills like storytelling and retelling. These are valuable skills that children need for reading comprehension.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Another great story emerged while on the lower playscape. Many children got together to build an obstacle course.
B - "We just started floor is lava"
T - "You can't step on the floor, that part is lava"
C - "If you step in the water that part is okay"
B - "Yes! I did it!"
T - "I did it, too!"
R - "Look at me! I did it!"
T - "B is in the lava!"
B - "Now I have to start all over"
C - "Okay guys let's get it going!"
S - "I'm doing it!"
E - "There are many different ways for you to get through to the other side"
C - "Miss Brooke, I'm making a bridge. We needed something new"
No comments:
Post a Comment